Following is a description of Kiaochow adapted from Fred Foldvary's article, "Market-hampering Land Speculation: Fiscal and Monetary Origins and Remedies" in the October 1998 American Journal of Economics and Sociology.
Kiaochow, China, also called Chiaochou and, in German, Kiautschou, and now spelled Jiaoxian, became a German colony in 1898. Its main city was Qingdao (Tsingtao) in Shangdong (formerly Shantung) province. In the German territories obtained during the latter 1800s, development had been accompanied by land speculation. The Imperial Commissioner for Kiaochow, Ludwig Wilhelm Schrameier, was a member of the German Land Reformers. At the founding of the colony in 1898, Schrameier established a land tax of six percent, collecting about half the land rent. The collection of the rent not only served as the source of government revenue, but successfully prevented land speculation while Tsingtao developed into a modern city (Silagi, 1984). The colony was taken over by Japan in 1914, reverting to China in 1922. The legacy of Kiaochow continued in China as Schrameier became a consultant to Sun Yat-sen, whose program of land reform, inspired both from the writings of Henry George and the example of Kiaochow, was passed onto the Nationalists and implemented by Chiang Kai-shek in Taiwan in 1950.
Silagi, Michael. 1984. "Land Reform in Kiaochow, China: From 1898 to 1914 the Menace of Disastrous Land Speculation was Averted by Taxation." Trans. Susan N. Faulkner. American Journal of Economics and Sociology 43 (2) (April): 167-77.